This blog chronicles the lives of the Caffee Clan: Brian, Kelly, Josh, Jason, Lauren and Katelyn as we navigate life as a large, loud family that lives on the verge of complete chaos! I'm Kelly, a 40 year old, a work-at-home-mom that dreams of someday being rich and famous. Uh huh, right! In reality, I love photography, healthy eating and cooking, my family, music and dancing!! I have a fetish for gross medical stuff, like unusual diseases or strange growths, and sometimes I wish I was a midwife. As you read, you might notice that I have an slight obsession with cleaning and germ-avoidance, but do not fret, I am aware and I am working on it. And I love making lists! I have lots of opinions about lots of things and this is what is represented here! I'm not always right (wait, I'm NOT??) but I always have something to say!!!

Monday, May 6, 2013

So proud!

Yesterday was the Spartan Race at Fort Carson and like last year, we packed up the crew and headed over to participate. Unlike last year, the weather was freezing!! The sponsors even built a fire so that the contestants could try to maintain their body heat after jumping into the frigid mud! I managed Katie and got Jay and Lu ready to race while Brian proved how strong he is! *Sigh* The man is nuts, but I am so very proud of him! For and a half miles of obstacles in fifty degree weather and smiling all the way through! Lemme show ya!

The start

Passing me by on the way to the mud pit...

Low crawl through more mud - gross!

He was laughing! Insane!

Mud "slide"

On his way to the spear throwing

Two of his team mates! Thumbs up...riiiiiiiight!

After it was all said and done and on his way to be hosed off!


Of course, two of my monkey were born with his sense of adventure and joined in on the fun! Jason ran the mile course with the kids and lost his shoes and socks in the mud! It was crazy! 

Traverse wall because, ya know, running a mud race is just not enough.




Pull up contest!



Mom! It's freezing!

Do you see him? He's the guy in the back with the mud socks....

All done!


"Mud boots!"


My tough girl ran in the half mile, but not before we had a little mishap - Brian took Katie and Lu to the car to warm up while I waited for Jay to finish - they had about 20 minutes before she was scheduled to run, so I didn't insist that she stay with me. Well, 15 minutes pass and Jay is done and there is no sign of Brian or Lu! I start to head toward where he parked and I see Brian walking towards me with Katie, but no Lu, so I start yelling "where is Lauren? She missed her race!!!". He yells back, "No, I told her to run ahead and just start!" I'm freaking out because I watched the start and I did not see my sweet girl and there are TONS of people milling around and I can't find her and I start thinking the worst. Of course, right??? I was about to head over to the MC to have him announce that I child is lost when I see this:

Mama! I did it!

"Why are you crying?" I always get a bit mushy when I am proud of my kids!

Woo hoo!

Mud pants and no shoes or socks!

Great job, baby!!
She had missed the start of the race, but when Brian told her to go, she went! Such trust, right! She started behind the pack and came in close to first - I think only 5 or 6 kids beat her to the finish - about 30 started! I am so proud of her - she is so tough and strong-willed! I love it! 

Josh seems to be the only one of the bunch that is like me - prefers to stay warm and dry and clean! I imagine that Katie will be running next year and who knows, maybe I'll catch the fever, too. But I seriously doubt that! 




3 comments:

  1. Love it! Made me cry too picturing you crying, dang it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Sorry - you're like me, a rough, tough cream puff!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly!

    Wow, it looks like your hubby and the kids had a great (and messy!) time at the race! How fun they were able to do something like that together!!

    I had a question for you about possibly collaborating on something and was hoping you could email me back to discuss? Thanks so much!

    - Emma

    emmabanks9 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete