This blog chronicles the lives of the Caffee Clan: Brian, Kelly, Josh, Jason, Lauren and Katelyn as we navigate life as a large, loud family that lives on the verge of complete chaos! I'm Kelly, a 40 year old, a work-at-home-mom that dreams of someday being rich and famous. Uh huh, right! In reality, I love photography, healthy eating and cooking, my family, music and dancing!! I have a fetish for gross medical stuff, like unusual diseases or strange growths, and sometimes I wish I was a midwife. As you read, you might notice that I have an slight obsession with cleaning and germ-avoidance, but do not fret, I am aware and I am working on it. And I love making lists! I have lots of opinions about lots of things and this is what is represented here! I'm not always right (wait, I'm NOT??) but I always have something to say!!!

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Please meet my friend and fellow blogger, Emma ...


Emma is a mid 20-something year old with a passion for life, love, fitness, and helping others. She loves to be active and get involved in as many sport and community activities as possible. Emma is currently studying to become a Career & Life Coach, and loves to network with people from around the world! Check out Emma’s blog at http://smileasithappens.blogspot.com/

Combating Myths About Post-Service Employment for Veterans


Finding a civilian job once you've left the military might seem daunting. After all, you've just spent the last four or more years engaged in active duty with a wide variety of job functions, and you might be unsure about what will translate to civilian careers. Fortunately, many companies hire veterans specifically for their diverse skill set that sets them apart from other applicants. The following offers some common myths about transitioning back to the civilian workforce and ways you can combat them.

Myth #1: Employers don't care about me as an applicant.

Truth: In an age with advancing technology and globalization, companies turn to dedicated employees to solve technological issues and reach a broad clientele base. Your service as a veteran puts you at the top of a lot of lists because your experience working around the world, either physically or virtually, makes you attractive to certain employers. Despite popular belief, many businesses do care about their employees because they recognize that investing in the right people means better service and profits for them. Likewise, they're looking for applicants with diverse backgrounds to help their business grow. Many of the tech-savvy Fortune 500 companies are using a platform provided by JIBE, a mobile recruiting company, that allows for people to upload their documents and apply from anywhere in the world, right from their smart phone or tablet.

Myth #2: My service-related disability will prevent me from getting a job.

Truth: Just as civilians with disabilities are federally protected from discrimination, you as a service member should never let your service-connected injury or disability hold you back. Organizations exist across the country to get you rehabilitated and back to work, such as the resources offered by the U.S. Department of Veterans. You'll be able to find job counseling, training and other resources to help you get a job no matter the disability.


Myth #3: It's not really that important to ask questions during an interview.

Truth: As silly as it might sound, think of the interview as a blind first date. You don't know each other, so how are you going to see if the relationship will work out? When an employer offers you the chance to ask them questions, they're not being polite. They want to know if you care enough about the company to see how you fit within the overall organization. From a personal standpoint, you should want to ask questions because, just as you would on a blind date, you want to know if this company is the right match for you.


Myth #4: My time as an active-duty service member will deter employers from hiring me because they prefer those who steadily work.

Truth: Employers do want to hire people who will work consistently, but your time as an active-duty service member differs completely from someone who just doesn't show up to work. In fact, it's illegal to discriminate against active-duty service members, and companies will face legal action if they fail to uphold the law. Whether hiring or retaining employees, federal guidelines are in place to protect your right to work, even if you must return to active duty during the course of your civilian employment.




3 comments:

  1. I always emailed this web site post page to all my contacts,
    since if like to read it afterward my contacts will too.

    Also visit my blog; lazylaces

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, this weekend is pleasant in support of me, because this time i am reading
    this enormous informative piece of writing here at my home.


    My weblog dimensions

    ReplyDelete
  3. I m always Looking for these kind of stuff, Sharing these kind of information is really helpful to all.Your blog is really nice simple and always provide valuable information to all users.Thanks a lot !
    Estetik

    ReplyDelete